April 19th is the official birthday of the Animal Cracker. In honor of this childhood treat I’m posting a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Chewy bars ( a close relative to the Magic Bar). I swapped out the usual graham cracker crumb base with the ever popular Animal Cracker.
Here ya go…
- gather ingredients together and measure them out.
- grind the crackers in the mini-chopper. I used an 8oz bag of crackers. Usually I wack the crackers in a ziplock with a meat mallet, I didn’t have the heart to do it to those poor little guys 🙁
- poured melted butter inside a disposable baking pan ( I used a slightly smaller pan than recommended)
- pressed the crust down into the butter with a fork, then added the chips, and then the coconut. I pressed down on all the ingredients as I went.
- poured the condensed milk over the entire mix. First used wide vertical strokes then wide horizontal strokes – filling in the gaps as I went along.
- Popped in the oven for 25 minutes. I added an extra 5 minutes and moved the pan to the top rack because it didn’t look ready. Then took out and let cool.
NOTE: The original recipe said to use 1 cup of the chips at first, then layer the coconut, and then add the remaining chips. But apparently, I don’t read directions well, and added them all in the beginning, oopsy!
Happy Birthday Animal Cracker – you will surely put an extra smile on our face in the coming days 🙂
I got the original recipe from the Hershey’s Chocolate Lovers cookbook.
Thanks for visiting and check out some of my other recipes while your here!