I’m giving this Zucchini and Tomato Parmesan Gratin recipe the Cheftini “Must Try” stamp of the week. It’s a one pot meal (well really it’s one skillet meal…), cooks in about 30 minutes and puts these summer staples to delicious use!
Every summer I feel like I make the same zucchini and tomato recipes. I was thrilled when I came across this recipe. In my tweaked up version. I added some fresh tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella for more bubbliness in the topping. I really love that after some light prep work this goes from the stove top, to the oven, and then to the table in a reasonable amount of time. I also really LOVE that it is a one pan recipe, making for less cleanup!
Note: For this recipe I used a 5 1/2″ deep saute pan. I like this pan because it is oven safe, deep and great for layering. It’s also a great pan for other recipes like pasta with sauces or vegetables, and it’s great for frying. It is one of my go to staples in the kitchen.
You can Click Here to see this pan on Amazon.
To get started with this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 Large Heirloom tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of fresh tomato sauce with basil and garlic
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Procedure and tips I found helpful in preparing this dish:
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Slice the tomatoes and Zucchini about 1/4″ thick.
- In a deep skillet begin to heat olive oil and then begin to layer the sliced tomatoes in the pan, trying not to overlap. Add salt and pepper to taste (I used garlic salt and pepper). Do not over season. Flip and turn tomatoes, it’s ok if they break up but try and make sure that most of the pan is covered before placing the zucchini on top. Cook on med/high heat, allowing the tomatoes to cook in their juices for about 5 minutes.
Note: if the pan is too small for all the tomatoes then start with what fits when cooked down a little just add remaining tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until soft but don’t let the liquid dry up. Then, begin to layer the zucchini around the pan. Lightly season the zucchini ,if you choose (I didnt season heavily…just black pepper).
NOTE: I didn’t use a fancy pattern because the zucchini gets covered by the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Next, add the sauce and spread out over the zucchini with the back of a spoon.
- In a bowl mix bread crumbs,grated parmesan,shredded mozzarella cheese, and chopped basil. Then once mixed well, begin to sprinkle the mixture evenly over the zucchini.
- Then place the pan into the pre heated oven on the middle rack. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the top begins to bubble and brown.
SIDE NOTE AbOUT SOME OF THE PHOTOS: I usually get such great pictures with my iPhone but this night it just wasn’t happening. I don’t know if the lighting was off in my kitchen or what…I promise this is going to taste better than it looks in some of the finished product photos!!
- Carefully remove the VERY HOT pan from the oven. I generally use a silicone oven mitt when I have to remove items with a handle. Click here to see the Duncan Euro Design Chef’s Mitt I use
Note: this is my actual mitt and yes, I really do love it!
- The final step is to cool slightly and then serve.
If you enjoy this recipe please share it with your friends by clicking on the SHARE icon below!
Thank you and I hope you’ll come back or subscribe to the blog for updates for email notifications.
Check out these other Zucchini Recipes on the blog while your here:
References: Bon Appetite
Below is your printable recipe card: