Sometimes I even impress myself!
Can you believe this PIZZA crust is made from chicken?!! Yes, you heard that right… CHICKEN! It seems the recent KETO craze has inspired more protein based foods, so Chicken Crust Parmesan Pizzas like this one have been breaking the internet.
The concept of making a “dough” out of protein is a relatively new concept for me, so when I was asked to come up with a recipe using none other than “canned chicken” (I know but stay with me..), I was literally stumped. I hit the social media masses for some inspiration and a friend (thank you, Kelly!) mentioned this KETO friendly crust and I knew it would be the winning dish for a segment I was doing for the Dr. Oz show.
Since I don’t know much about chicken crust pizza, I did a ton of research and everyone agreed, when using canned chicken you have to first dry out a bit in the oven before mixing it with 2 other simple ingredients: egg and Parmesan cheese. Keeping the crust simple also seemed to be key in perfecting the chicken crust. I was slightly skeptical about the whole thing but I made like 4 times and I am still amazed how it all comes together and takes on a dough like consistency.
The overall process is pretty simple but adhering to some basic steps will ensure you have a tasty, crispy pizza like crust:
- Use good quality brand of canned chicken with very few ingredients. I used Organic Chicken breast in water.
- Be sure to drain ALL the liquid from the chicken and throughly remove the moisture by baking the chicken pieces in the oven for aprox. 10 minutes.
- Once you’ve formed the “dough” for the crust, make sure you spread it out super thin for the crispiest crust. Regardless of the shape you use, I found rolling it out in between two pieces of parchment paper was the best way to spread it out and transfer to sheet pan.
- Be sure to bake the crust for about 10 minutes prior to adding any toppings!
By following the above tips and recipe below you will produce a great low carb, budget friendly friendly KETO approved Pizza in no time.
And there you have it, another magical meal that can be made in minutes. Well about 30 minutes to be exact, but it’s a win in my book. I made a traditional style pizza below but you can definitely experiment with different toppings. Oh and when I shared this with Dr. Oz on the show, it was a lip smackin, high fivin’ kinda hit on the show that day, but I’ll share that post for when it airs.
If you like different types of pizza recipes as much as me, you might like to try my recipes for Sausage Pizza Tortilla Roll Ups, Mini Naan Bread Pepperoni Pizza, Flatout Broccoli Pizza or one of my faves, Sunny Side Up Breakfast Pizza. If you are looking for a simple homemade sauce to go with your favorite Pizza you might also try my Simple San Marzano Sauce recipe.
Don’t forget to let me know if you try any of my recipes in the comments or on social media. Also, tag me on Instagram @cheftini and hashtag #fromcheftiniskitchen to show me a picture of your dish! Happy Cooking y’all…..
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THESE TOP BLOG RECIPES:
- Homemade Manicotti Crepes
- Vodka sauce
- Mini Cheese Cake Cupcakes
- Lemon Ricotta Cake
- Classic Cavatelli and Broccoli