This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
These Chocolate Covered Caramel Popcorn pops are simple and fun to make. They also make a great halloween treats for school parties.
If you’re looking for an easy – not too difficult – recipe with an impressive presentation then these are for you!
For starters you are going to need to pop some popcorn. I take the easy way out and pop 1 bag of microwave popcorn.
IMPORTANT TIP: Be sure to pick out all the unpopped kernels.
To make the caramel I cheat a little by melting a bag of unwrapped caramels in a pot over medium heat with mini marshmallows and water. Once the caramel is melted you need to evenly pour it over the popcorn and mix well. The difficult part is that you need to move quick because the caramel hardens quickly but at the same time it is VERy HOT – so be careful!!
TIP: spray a spoon (or your hands) with cooking spray to prevent sticking and help move along the mixing process.
At this point I let the popcorn sit a minute or so…
…then form into balls and place onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once all he balls are formed insert a lollipop stick or craft stick into the center of the popcorn ball.I used candy apple sticks that had a little bit of a point on the end.
TIP: Careful not to press the popcorn into the paper or it will stick and be hard to remove.
Once the sticks are firmly placed into the popcorn and the caramel has had a chance to harden around them you can start to prepare your chocolate dip. I melt the chocolate in the microwave but you can also use a double boiler. You can use chocolate chips, candy melts or leftover candy bars (that’s what I did). Sometimes I also use a tablespoon of shortening to thin out the chocolate if it is too thick for dipping. Once melted dip and then swirl the popcorn a little to remove the excess. Then, decorate with sprinkles or candy.
NOTE: I tried to decorate with some chocolate candies but they didn’t want to stick so I just used Halloween sprinkles I found at the supermarket. Shake on your sprinkles and then place the finished popcorn ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to dry. I prefer to harden them in the refrigerator.
When the chocolate is completely dry, I wrap each one with a little piece of saran and then cello. Then, tie each one with a ribbon or a bow, and then a cute little Halloween tag.
DIY TIP: I made these tags (and many others) by printing a Halloween template I found on AVERY.com. Once you find a design you like and print, then just punch a hole at the top and hang on the outside with ribbon.
Chocolate Dipped Caramel Popcorn
- 1 cups bag of microwave popcorn 12popped popcorn
- 1 14 oz bag of caramels
- 1 cup mini marsmallows
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon shortening for chocolate optional
- Lolipop sticks/craft sticks
- Halloween sprinkles or small candy
- CELLO AND RIBBON TO WRAP AS GIFTS
- Pop the popcorn; pick out the unpopped kernels; set aside in a bowl
- On the stovetop in a pot melt unwrapped caramels with marshmallows and water together
- Evenly pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and carefully mix together. CAUTION:CARAMEL GETS VERY HOT!
- Form 12 balls of popcorn and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Insert a lollipop stick or craft stick into the center of each ball. Allow the caramel to set before moving onto the next step or the sticks will fall out
- Melt chocolate with shortening in the microwave; dip each popcorn ball into the chocolate; coat with sprinkles or candy and return to the lined baking sheet. Allow to harden in the refrigerator.
- Once dry wrap with cello and ribbon and give out as halloween treats.