This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
I’m always eager to try a new chicken dish. Especially chicken dishes that can be cooked in about 30 minutes. I really like this creamy chicken dish because it is quick and flavorful. It’s definitely not a low fat dish as it boasts a good 1/2 cup of heavy cream. It would be perfect for a date night at home or anytime you can spare a few extra calories.
On the flip side, don’t let the cream scare you. In my opinion, even though it may not be the most lightened up chicken dish – one piece of this creamy chicken over a cup of brown rice or quinoa, is probably healthier than most take out meals.
One way to cut some fat in this dish is by cooking with olive oil instead of butter. Did you know that 2 tablespoons of butter can be substituted with 1.5 Tblsp. of olive oil? Substituting 2 tablespoons of butter for 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil saves about 25 calories and a whopping 12g of saturated fat (that’s the bad fat).
In addition to cutting out some of the fat, the most important cooking tip for preparing this creamy chicken chardonnay meal is “mise en place”. You know that fancy culinary saying that means you should have all your ingredients measured, sliced, diced and ready to go before cooking (well not the exact translation…but you get the idea). Having everything prepped to go will also help reduce stress in the kitchen and speed up the process of preparing any meal.
Happy Cooking and enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Chardonnay
- 4-5 pieces of thin chicken breast
- Salt and pepper to taste *
- Flour for dredging
- 3-4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 oz of white mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 cup chardonnay
- 1/2 cup chick stock
- 8 oz Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- Clean and dry chicken, leeks and mushrooms. Slice mushrooms and leeks and set aside.
- Slice Chicken in half and dredge through seasoned flour mixture. Shake off excess.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan and cook chicken;transfer to a covered dish to keep warm.
- In the same pan add the remaining olive oil and sauté mushrooms for a few minutes. Then add the wine and chicken stock. Reduce the mixture to about half;then add the heavy cream and the ground mustard. Continue to reduce. Add the chicken back to the pan and coat in the cream sauce. Once the mixture begins to thicken add the leeks and continue to cook until reduced by half.
- Transfer to a serving dish.