This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
I am pretty sure that I am a day late and a dollar short on the whole Pumpkin phenomenon that swept the internet a while back. It was actually late August when I first noticed a slew of Pumpkin recipes start hitting social media outlets. I was like “pumpkins in August…really!”
Now I’ve never been a huge pumpkin fan but I never associated pumpkins with the end of summer or early Fall. When I think of pumpkins, I think of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Right? I mean it was just National Pumpkin Day yesterday. Well, even though I may be a little late in “Google” terms, I guess it’s “better late than never!”
Give this crock pot pumpkin cream cheese smashed potato recipe a try. It will make a great addition to any Thanksgiving table. You won’t believe how easy it is!
Although it’s easy, I do have some quick tips to share:
- Best practice: cut the potatoes the same size so they cook evenly.
- Do not cut the mini sized creamers but do puncture them with a fork.
- To prevent the potatoes from burning and sticking to the sides of the ceramic pot you should stir a few times during the cooking process.
- Warm the milk or cream before pouring it into the crockpot.
- When done keep the potatoes in the crockpot on “warm” until ready to serve.
- I use Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Cream Cheese for this recipe. However,If you can not find TJ’s Pumpkin Cream cheese try using 8oz of regular cream cheese, 1/2 cup or so of pumpkin puree and your favorite pumpkin pie spice flavoring (to your taste). NOTE: please keep in mind these measurements are a guideline and may need to be adjusted. I have only made this with TJ’s Pumpkin Cream Cheese.
- Remember that cooking times can vary with crock pots so use the cooking time as a guideline. Maybe make this recipe for the first time when you know you can stick around to watch it (that’s what I do).
Here is the simple recipe, I hope you enjoy it.
Of course feel free to make this recipe your own and don’t forget to share it with me in the comments below!
Crockpot Smashed Potatoes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese
- 2 lb small creamer potatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1 8 oz container of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread
- 1-2 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 warm milk I used half n half
- Clean the potatoes and cut into even sizes; place into the crockpot with water;season with salt and pepper;mix together,cover and cook on high for 3 hours (or until the potatoes are soft).
- When cooked mash with a fork or potato masher. In a glass bowl put milk and butter together and microwave for 30 seconds. Pour the warmed milk and butter over the potatoes and mix. Add the container of cream cheese and mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Potaotes can continue to sit in the crock pot on warm setting until ready to serve.