This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
So often we reach for the instant hot cocoa mix, but I love the Hershey’s Hot Cocoa Recipe. It is super easy to make and you can control the ingredients. In about 5 minutes you can have a homemade cup of hot cocoa which you can vary with different flavors and spices.
To get started with the basic recipe all you need is some Hershey’s Cocoa (which is a staple in my pantry), sugar, milk (whole or skim), water, salt, and vanilla extract. Cocoa and vanilla extracts are versatile pantry items that we should all keep on hand.
Here is the simple recipe from Hershey’s.
Homemade Hershey's Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- Dash Salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups hot milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- optional: mini marshmallows
- In a saucepan stir together sugar, cocoa and salt. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat, whisking at all times until mixture begins to boil. Do this for about 2 minutes.
- Add milk and continue to gently stir and bring back up to a serving temperature. Be careful not to bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Beat with whisk until foamy.
- Serve with favorite topping.