This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
There is nothing I love more on a cool crisp Sunday than a big old dish of Pasta. Especially when it is baked in the oven, smothered in cheese and a hearty meat sauce. A heaping helpful of Pasta al Forno is the ultimate comfort food for me!
To start this recipe you’ll need to make a big old pot of meat sauce, like my favorite Bolognese Style Meat Sauce. It’s a great sauce that can be made the day of or even in advance. Once you’re meat sauce is ready to go, all you really need to do is boil your pasta just under al dente and begin to layer the dish together.
Yes. It IS that simple. Boil and drain the pasta, return to the pot, mix in some sauce, ricotta cheese and grated Parmesan Cheese. Layer the bottom of a baking dish with a few cups of meat sauce, layer in half the pasta, top with mozzarella, add more sauce, place the remaining pasta on top, add more sauce and top with more cheese. Then pop in the oven to bake for aproximatley one hour. I keep the foil on until the last 15 minutes or so.
There you have it.. my ALL time favorite fall Sunday Dinner! Be sure to give this one a try and let me know what you think. Ciao, Ciao for now!
By the way if you really like this recipe, you might also want to try my Simple San Marzano Sauce, Vodka Sauce, Homemade Manicotti Crepes or Eggplant Rollatini recipes.
Pasta al Forno with Meat Sauce
- 1 lb pasta Penne, ziti, orecchiette
- 1 Batch Meat Sauce RECIPE LINK BELOW
- 8 oz ricotta cheese whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz Mozzarella Cheese sliced 1/8" thick
- 3/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese +extra if needed
- Prepare 1 batch of Bolognese Style Meat Sauce. Under cook 1 lb of pasta (like penne or ziti). Drain and return to the pot. Mix together with ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese and 1 cup of sauce.
- Layer about 2 cups of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish then add half the pasta mixture to the dish and spread out evenly. Sprinkle more grated parmesan cheese and the mozzarella over the pasta. Spoon over about 2-3 cups of sauce (not too much though)
- Layer in the remaining pasta, add more sauce and parmesan cheese. Evenly Layer the sliced mozzarella over the top. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue bake an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese on top begins to bubble. Remove and let sit before serving.
- Bolognese Style Meat Sauce RECIPE