I might be a little late to the whole Puff Pastry Pinwheel party but as they say … “better late than never”, right! Oh and it’s my party so…
Seriously though, I have really been wanting to experiment with these pinwheel appetizers for some time now. I had a little free time today and decided to give them a try. I basically whipped these up with the ingredients from my fridge. And as luck would have it, mushrooms, ham and muenster happen to be one of my favorite flavor combos. I will say though, if I had some spinach on hand that would probably ended up in here too, but that will just have to be a recipe for another day.
To be honest, this is a pretty straight forward recipe. You fill the puff pastry with filling of choice, roll it up nice and tight, give it a little egg wash, slice and then bake. These are also great make ahead item for your next gathering. Especially right now as the holidays are upon us and we are all trying to cram in all the holiday festivities.
After making several batches of these I walked away with a few tips and tricks that should help make these a really successful dish. To start, make sure the dough is defrosted but still chilled. Also, I found it helpful to refrigerate the rolled up puff pastry before slicing the rounds. A few minutes to chill is plenty. I found using a serrated knife was also better than a smooth blade.
When it came to filling the puff pastry, there were no empty slices at the end of the roll when the cold cuts and cheese were placed close to the edges (rather than leaving a border.) There was a little I actually had to play with my oven temp a little bit, but it seems that 400 F. for 25 minutes was the best outcome for me. I also started on the bottom rack and finished them up on the top.
Use this recipe as a guide and experiment with other flavors. I made a few batches with mushrooms and a few without.
These will make the perfect addition to your holiday gathering! Happy pinwheeling and enjoy!
Ham Muenster Mushrooms Pastry Pinwheels
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry thawed according to package
- 16 oz White Button Mushrooms sliced
- 16 Slices Boiled Ham
- 12 Slices Muenster Cheese
- Olive Oil for Sauteeing
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated and divided
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 Tblsp. of milk or water
- Pre Heat oven to 400 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice and saute mushrooms in a skillet until lightly golden in color. Set aside and let cool.
- Unwrap each puff pastry onto a board. Brush each with egg wash and then sprinkle all over with some of the grated parmesan cheese. Lay down the Ham, then the cheese and then the cooled mushrooms. Roll up tightly and seal with more egg wash. Refrigerate and let chill for 5 minutes to firm up the dough.
- Remove the chilled dough, slice into 1/2" rounds and place on the lined baking sheets. Aprox. 10 slices per sheet. Brush the tops with more egg wash, evenly sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese and bake in the oven until golden brown and cheese becomes bubbly. Aprox. 20-25 minutes. Alternate the pans halfway through.
- Let cook slightly, remove from parchment and serve warm.