With markets and gardens about to burst with fresh fruits and veggies, I thought it was the perfect time to share this recipe for my favorite, meatless Eggplant Meatballs. I’ve been sitting on this one for too long. In fact, my Facebook LIVE segment for these was done almost 2 months ago and I am so behind on posting the recipe. Can you say …. #procrastinator. Yep, that’s me .. guilty for sure.
Besides being the worlds worst poster, I know what else you’re thinking “she’s slightly obsessed with eggplant”. Guess what? You’re wrong. I am not slightly obsessed, I am crazy obsessed with it! I must have at least 5 eggplant recipes on the blog already, not including this one and one other one I am still working on!
Actually this is not the first time I am sharing a recipe for eggplant meatballs. Back in 2013 when I first started to blog, I shared a recipe for Eggplant Parmatini (basically my version of individual eggplant meatball parmesan). It was pretty popular when I first shared it but after taking a closer look at it, I felt like it could use a little tweaking.
To make the recipe a little bit more time friendly, I decided to use a techinqiue I read about where the eggplant is softened in the mocrowave and then pan seared for an added smokey flavor. I’ve also added the mozzarella cheese into the mixture rather than baking it on top. And from a visual standpoint, I’ve really improved my food photography ALOT since then too,lol
I mean don’t these look delicious? Don’t you just want to give these a try! If you make them you should definitely pair them with my San Marzano Tomato Sauce Recipe , which is equally simple and delicious. And of course, if you try them you MUST let me know what you think! Tag me @cheftini and #cheftini on Instagram! That makes me oh so happy when you do! 🙂
If you like eggplant as much as me ,you might want to read about how to Pick the Perfect Eggplant and try one these other recipes for Eggplant Rollatini, Eggplant Lasagna, Stuffed Baby Eggplant or Eggplant Chili Fries .
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THESE TOP BLOG RECIPES:
- 3 Baby Eggplant or 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Medium shallot optional
- 2 Cloves garlic optional
- Handful Fresh Italian Parlsey Chopped
- S & P to taste
- Olive oil for Frying or other vegetable oil
- Simple San Marzano Sauce recipe link below
- Cut baby eggplant in half. Season with s&p and brush with oil. Score diagonally, Pan sear on both sides and char for about 4-5 mins. . Place on a microwave safe dish and cook for 4 mins. In microwave. Let cool and scoop out the inside of the eggplant Into a food processor. Pulse until puréed.
- Add eggplant puree to a large mixing bowl with breadcrumbs, cheeses and an egg. Refrigerate before rolling into small balls. Sauté eggplant balls in olive oil until cooked through. Keep warm Until ready serve. Serve with tomato sauce.