This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Here is a another family favorite. It’s homemade sausage Bread. We love sausage bread. What’s not to love? Pizza dough, sausage and mozzarella cheese. It’s pretty much a winning combination.
Up until a few years ago this was one of those things I never wanted to try and make. There has always been something about homemade pizzas and stuffed calzones, etc… that have always intimidated me. It was only about 2 or 3 years ago that I actually gave sausage bread a try. As it turned out I was wrong and it’s actually not hard at all. Actually, it’s kinda easy…..
I think the key is to keep it simple. I use store bought refrigerated pizza dough which to me just simplifies any pizza making venture. If you enjoy making your own pizza dough then please do so, but if you are looking for an easy stressless option (like me) then buy refrigerated pizza dough from your local market.* Even my old fashioned Italian mother in law buys the pizza dough …. just sayin. Once you’ve made the filling all you need to do is spread it out over the flattened dough, roll it and bake it – easy right?!
Here’s the step by step for my easy sausage bread recipe:
Remove your pizza dough from the packaging and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let the dough come to room temperature before trying to stretch it out. I just kinda let it sit there for a bit …..
NOTE: If you are in my local area of Westchester County, NY I really like the pizza dough from Stew Leonard’s and Trader Joe’s. I have also purchased dough right from the local pizzeria. I like to buy the dough and keep it in the freezer. You never know when it will come in handy and it doesn’t take to long to defrost.
While your dough is resting, pre heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Remove sausage from casing and crumble in a hot saute pan. Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, break up the meat while it cooks. Cook the meat until it is no longer pink and browned. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain the excess fat.
Once the sausage has cooled add the diced or shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, and one egg. Mix all together. By now the dough has lost its chill begin and you can begin to spread it out evenly to the edges of the pan. You want an oblong shape. Try and keep the dough as even as possible. Do not worry if the dough tears – simply pinch it back together.
TIP: Poke a few holes in the dough to prevent it from puffing up too much while baking. Not too many and not too close together to keep the filling from oozing out while it is baking.
When stretched out begin to evenly spread the sausage filling evenly over the surface of the dough. Leave about 1″ on the top and bottom and a 1/2 ” along the sides.
Tightly roll up the dough – jelly roll style. Seal the flap with some water on your fingers. The sausage bread should be baked seam side down on the baking sheet. Before placing in the oven crack and egg and mix well. Then brush the egg over the top of the bread before baking.
Serve and enjoy. Happy Cooking!
- 1 Package of Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- 1 lb of Italian Sweet Sausage removed from casing
- 8 oz of diced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs - divided
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove your pizza dough from the packaging and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let the dough come to room temperature before trying to stretch it out.
- Remove sausage from casing and crumble in a hot saute pan. Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, break up the meat while it cooks. Cook the meat until it is no longer pink and browned. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pain and drain the excess fat.
- In a separate bowl combine the cooled sausage, diced or shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, and one egg. Mix all together.
- When the dough has lost its chill begin to spread it out evenly to the edges of the pan. Do not worry if the dough tears - simply pinch it back together.
- Once the dough is in an oblong shape, spread out the sausage filling evenly over the dough. leave about an 1" on the top and bottom and a 1/2 " along the sides.
- Roll up the dough tightly, jelly role style. Seal the flap with some water on your fingers. Place the sausage bread seam side down on the baking sheet. Crack remaining egg into a bowl with a little water and mix together. Brush the top and sides of the bread with the egg wash mixture.
- Place bread into the preheated oven and bake in the oven for 40 minutes (or until done). Let the bread cool a bit before cutting into it.