This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
“Helloo September” (in my Jerry Seinfeld voice)! No disrespect to this glorious month, but I’m a Summer girl through and through! I will miss the pool, long walks on the beach and those late summer sunsets watching my little girl chase fireflies.
Until next year summer…..
Well, I guess there are a few things to love about September, like the start of school (yes!), ma’ birthday ? and the beginning of Football season ? (#JETS). I am also looking forward to getting into the kitchen and cooking some heartier meals. One dish I like to make this time of year is this Sausage and Mushroom ragu. Somewhere between a sauce and a stew this hearty ragu makes the perfect early fall dinner. This dish is so versatile, it can be served over pasta, rice, polenta or even alone. The best thing about this dish is that it’s packed with flavor, but only takes a half hour or so to make.
If you’re reluctantly embracing the cooler weather like me, you should definitely give this dish a try, it will bring you closer to accepting the cooler months ahead while still giving you time to enjoy the changing September weather.
Happy cooking and enjoy!
Sausage and Mushroom Ragu
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage removed from casing
- 8 oz of white button mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 12 oz can of san marzano tomatoes drained and chopped
- parsley & Basil for flavor
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion sliced and diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Saute sausage until cooked through. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat and then add mushrooms. Continue to Saute for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let cook for an additional 5 minutes uncovered on medium heat. Serve warm.