Happy Sunday! I hope you guys are ready for my favorite lightened up recipe for Turkey Meatballs. I call them Mediterranean Meatballs because they are mixed with a combination of sauteed vegetables like eggplant and zucchini. Although they are not our typical Sunday meal, I really enjoy them during the week for supper. They are great alone with a little grated Ricotta Salata and side salad but also go great over zoodles, spaghetti squash and even served with your favorite pasta.
These lightened meatballs are not only less in fat, they are gluten free too! Instead of using traditional bread crumbs they are binded with ground oatmeal. Just season the oatmeal a bit with dried italian seasonings and fresh parsley so they aren’t too bland. This is a great alternative to bread and also boost your fiber intake. To keep this on the more healthful side, I use the 99% lean ground turkey and bake the turkey meatballs in the oven instead of frying them,. Still just as tasty!
Once the meatballs are cooked through simmer them in your favorite sauce. I use my Simple San Marzano Sauce for this. Just a few cups with chicken stock will do. Throw in some fresh basil right before you serve them. Hope you like them and will give them a try. Of course let me know what you think you do!
Tasty Turkey Meatballs in San Marzano Sauce
- 1 pound Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (ground)
- 1 small Zucchini diced
- 1 baby Eggplant peeled and diced
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 oz White Mushrooms chopped
- 3 mini red peppers diced
- 1 Large egg
- Handful grated parmesan
- olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh Parsley and Basil chopped and torn
- 24 oz San Marzano Chopped or Diced Tomatoes divided
- Simple San Marzano Sauce or basic tomato sauce
- 1 Tblsp dried italian seasonings
- S & P to taste
- Saute shallots, Peppers, Garlic eggplant, zucchini Few Tablespoons of olive oil until tender, add mushrooms and sauté until softened. Add chopped tomatoes, parsley and broth. Bring to a simmer and set aside to cool.Measure oatmeal then blend till ground. Add chopped parsley and dried Italian seasonings In a bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, cooked vegetables, oatmeal, salt and pepper to taste and combine.
- Using a scooper roll turkey meatballs into a greased baking sheet. Place in a preheated 375 F. oven. Bake until meatballs are cooked through and lightly golden brown on top.
- Simmer in sauce for 15-20 minutes *see below for sauce*
- In a sauté pan or pot add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté 1 Shallot for a few minutes then add 1-2 cups San Marzano Sauce ,fresh basil and parsley. Add meatballs along with a 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.