This post is being brought to you today courtesy of my friends at Cento Fine Foods. Please help me bring you more delicious recipes by supporting the brands that help me bring you good food.
November is here and it is definitely getting crisp out there. With the weather just about changed over I am feeling like it’s time to start digging into some of my favorite heartier dishes. One of them being this classic Italian American Veal and Potatoes dish.
Veal and Potatoes is a stew of sorts, my Mom always made it on the stove top but I ran into this sweet Italian Nonna in the supermarket one day, and she told me to roast it. And now that’s how me and this dish roll … in the oven.
Although it needs to roast a few hours, with just a quick saute of the meat and a few peeled red potatoes, the remaining ingredients all work together in the roasting process to create a tender and flavorful meal. It is Italian American comfort food at it’s finest!
In addition to a splash of dry vermouth (or other dry white wine) I also add some diced tomatoes and tomato sauce for both the texture and the flavor. I just use my basic tomato sauce , but I also add in some crushed tomatoes for texture as well. The diced tomatoes from Cento work well because they always have great flavor. I also love that they now come in this resealable cardboard container. It’s not just BPA free, it’s also very convenient with it’s easy to open and close top. Be sure to check these out at your local market.
I know this one is not a Magical Meal in Minutes, but it can be prepped ahead of time and once you’ve done some light work, your oven does the rest. Go ahead and warm your bellies with this hearty, Italian American classic.
For more information on Cento Fine Foods or where you can locate their products please visit Cento.com .
Comment below because I love to hear from you!!
Veal and Potatoes
- 2 LB Veal Cubes
- 5 Red Potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup Crushed Tomatoes Cento
- 1/4 cup basic tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup vermouth/dry white wine
- 1 small onion or 2 small shallots
- 3 T olive oil Cento
- Handfull Parsley chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large baking dish drizzle olive oil on the bottom and add potatoes and onions (or shallots) and thyme sprigs. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Saute veal cubes in batches in a large saute pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper as the veal cubes cook. Mix together with the potatoes and onions.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sauce and wine to the pan and bring to a simmer. Pour the tomato wine mixture over the veal and potatoes. Mix well, cover with tin foil, and roast on middle rack for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour carefully remove the baking dish and stir the ingredients. Return the uncovered baking dish to the oven (middle rack) continue to cook uncovered until veal is tender (can be cut with a fork).