This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
I think I am currently in a Zucchini state of mind and wanted to share another great recipe with you all – Zucchini in Carozza! Perhaps you’ve heard of Mozzarella in Carozza, which is mozzarella cheese that is sandwiched between bread, dipped in egg batter and then sauteed in olive oil. This zucchini in carozza is prepared much in the same way, but with sliced zucchini instead of bread. It makes for a great appetizer, snack, lunch or dinner.
Slice, dip and saute….
Making these zucchini grilled cheese bites takes a little prep work, but when done you’ll have a mouth watering, ooey gooey zucchini treat in just a few minutes! Although it might be easier to slice the zucchini into rounds, I prefer to slice the zucchini lengthwise. I lay the zucchini flat on its side and begin cutting across 1/4″ slices. A medium zucchini should yield about 10 slices (or so). Once the zucchini is sliced I stack them and then cut them in half. Next I take half the slices and spread the pesto on top, add a slice of fontina cheese and top with another slice of zucchini. I like to let the zucchini sit for a few minutes to allow the zucchini slices, pesto and cheese form a bond. Then I dredge the “sandwich” in flour and dip it into a grated Parmesan cheese egg wash before cooking it in a hot pan coated in olive oil. When both sides of the zucchini have a nice golden brown color and the cheese is melted they are done. I like to set the zucchini on a paper towel for a few moments to drain off any excess oil. Serve them warm with tomato sauce or more pesto for dipping.
These zucchini in Carozza are delicious and won’t take too long to make. With just a slice, dip and saute you are only 25 minutes away from a happier day!
Happy Cooking and Enjoy!
Zucchini in Carozza
- 1 medium/large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with s&p
- 10 slices narrowof fontina cheese to fit the inside of the zucchini without overlapping
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto or green sauce
- Olive oil for Frying
- Slice end of zucchini and then turn horizontally and cut thin 1/8" slices across (aprox. 10 slices)
- Cut the zucchini slices in half and spread pesto over 1/2 the slices; top with a slice of pesto and set aside.
- Mix 2 eggs with parmesan cheese into a shallow dish; place flour in a separate dish and season with salt and pepper if desired. Dredge the zucchini sandwiches into the flour on all sides; then dip the the zucchini into the egg. Be sure to cover as much as possible.
- Cook in a saute pan coated in olive oil until golden brown and cheese has melted. Using a paper towel pat the zucchini to soak up any extra oil. Serve Warm or enjoy later.