This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Growing up and living in a predominantly Italian-American area has its advantages. Most of which include an over abundance of Italian restaurants. In my town alone I can think of 6 right of the top of my head. Each one is uniquely good and has one or two known specialties. One of our favorite local restaurants serves a chicken breast crusted in parmesan cheese that is nestled among a delicious lemon-white wine sauce. Although it’s not what most people consider to be an Italian chicken dish it is a refreshing and delightful meal.
Enjoy this refreshing dish! Ciao-ciao for now!
Chicken alla Ciao
- 4 or 5 thin chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of instant polenta
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon eggs scrambled with aof water
- 1 cup of wine
- Juice from 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F
Create an assembly line
- 1.season chicken (salt, pepper,etc..)
- 2. polenta and parmesan cheese on a flat dish. Season to taste.
- 3.egg wash in a separate dish
- Heat a large oven proof skillet with olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Dip chicken in egg wash then polenta/parmesan breading. Place into hot skillet and cook the chicken until browned on both sides Remove chicken from the pan. Add wine,lemon juice and butter to the pan and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to the pan when butter is melted. With a spoon coat the chicken with the juices.
- Transfer pan to hot oven. Cook for about 8-10 minutes then carefully flip the chicken over and continue to cook an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked
- Add fresh parlsey if desired
- Carefully remove the HOT pan from the oven
- Transfer chicken with sauce to a serving platter
Serve over fresh arugula. There is no need for dressing as the lemon sauce will flavor the greens.