This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
When my son asked me to make chili cheese dogs, I modified a great chili recipe I got from a good friend. She makes a mean pot of chili (shout out to Gina P, thank you!). I used her recipe as a guideline for mine because: 1) I like her recipe; 2)the bulk of the cooking time is done in the crock pot, so it can be prepared in advance; 3) you can walk away from it while it cooks. It’s also a pretty straight forward recipe. I didn’t have the chili kit Gina uses so I improvised with a chili packet I had on hand (McCormick chili seasoning).
If you’ve been following my blog you know I have been trying to find recipes where I could
get rid of – I mean incorporate – some Organic seasoned stewed tomatoes. I have an over abundant supply right now thanks to my hubby! I used these tomatoes instead of tomato sauce in my chili recipe, I think it worked out great.
Pair the chili dogs with my broccoli slaw made with Greek yogurt.
For the Chili:
Cook ground sirloin in a skillet and then drain away the fat. Then add the diced onion, pepper and smashed garlic. Saute all the ingredients together for a few minutes to combine the flavors. Then add the tomatoes and mashed them into the pot. (These particular tomatoes have notes of oregano and green pepper, which give extra flavor). Then add the beans (drained) and stir. Combine together add water and seasoning packet.
Bring to a boil and then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
NOTE: skip the chili packet and season with chili powder and cumin. About 2 tablespoons of chili powder and 1 tablespoon of cumin. I prefer the packets, the brand I use is MSG free with no artificial flavors.
Feel free to double the recipe for more chili. I cut Gina’s recipe in half because only a few of us eat chili in this house (thank God for my son, he is true foodie at heart and loves to eat!).
I got about 5 cups of chili from this recipe.
The cheese dogs call for 8 hot dogs, with 1 tablespoon of chili (more if you like) on each dog. That leaves aprox. 3 1/2 cups of chili that could be frozen and used again for another time.
I love when I can get two meals out of one dinner.
Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 lb of chopped sirloin
- 14 oz can of Kirkland Organic Stewed Italian Tomatoes
- 6 oz of water
- Mild or HOT chili packet
- 1 19 oz can of black beans or red kidney beans or a combo of both
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 8 Hot Dogs
- 8 Split top hot dog buns
- 1 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup of sliced green onion for garnish
For the Chili
- Cook ground sirloin until brown and drain the fat. Add the peppers, garlic, and onion and mix together. Add the the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes with a masher then add beans and combine
- Pour in the seasoning packet and stir. Add the water and bring to a boil. When bubbling transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Boil hot dogs until cooked through
FOR the CHEESE DOGS
- Place hot dog on a bun and split down the center (not all the way through.)Take about a tablespoon of chili and spoon over the hot dog (use more chili on dogs if desired). Sprinkle with cheddar and garnish with green onion. Serve with your favorite side dish
1.Ground chicken or turkey
2.Add 1 small diced Jalapenjo pepper
3.Use about 8 ozs of basic tomato sauce in place of stewed tomatoes
(if substituting tomato sauce add 2 oz more of water)
Freeze extra chili for another round of cheese dogs or warm through with some spanish rice when your in a pinch for a quick meal.