This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
You know what they say … “better late than never“(my forever motto!)….
I have been trying to get this recipe up here on the blog for weeks and it just did not happen! I’m sorry if you’ve been following along on social media and patiently waiting for me to share. With everyone home with the flu and then my kids on winter break, there has been little time for recipe writing and sharing. Thankfully this week everyone is on the mend, back to school (HOORAY!) and work (can you say man-flu!). I finally have some recipe-writing blog time.
The first recipe I want to share is this Creamy Chicken Contadina. This contadina chicken, which in translation basically means in the style of the farmer, is made with basic ingredients you might find on a farm like mushrooms, shallots, tomatoes, fresh herbs, heavy cream and white wine. Although I didn’t farm these ingredients myself, I did have to dig them out of my pantry and fridge which is kind of the same thing, lol. Don’t stress it if you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, a quick trip to the market is really all you’ll need. And if you happen to live on a farm…. then you are truly #winning with this dish.
The key to making this a quick chicken dish ( like most) is to use thinly sliced breasts of chicken. The thinner the chicken breast, the quicker it will cook. Ideally you’d make this dish all on the same day but you could feasibly make the sauce the day before. To prep this in advance just make the contadina sauce, let it cook and refrigerate it until ready to use. When you are ready to serve dinner, you just need to sauté your chicken till cooked through while warming the sauce in a separate pan. It may be necessary to thin the sauce out a bit with a little stock. Then pour the warmed sauce over the chicken and simmer for a few minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together.
Easy right? Now go ahead and put this Creamy Chicken Contadina on your weeknight dinner menu, #NoFarmNeeded. With a quick saute of the pan and a few basic ingredients, you will have a winner winner in the style of the farmer chicken dinner! And of course if you give this one a try PLEASE let me know what you think in the comments below!
Grab the recipe below and Happy Cooking!
Creamy Chicken Contadina
- 2 LBS chicken cutlet breasts Thin
- 1/4 Cup flour seasoned with s&p
- 1 LB White Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Medium shallot sliced thin
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Tomatoes diced
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce basic
- 2 Tblsp. unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Splash dry white wine
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Saute with 1/2 tbsp butter and a tablespoon of EVOO until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Lightly season chicken cutlets with s&p. Dredge through the seasoned flour. In same pan, add remaining oil and butter. Cook each piece of chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside chicken when cooked. *don't crowd the pan, work in batches if necessary*
- Next with the flame on medium heat, add the remaining butter and oil. Saute the shallots for 3-4 mins, season as desired with salt and pepper; add mushrooms, tomatoes, white wine and tomato sauce. Bring to a slow simmer and then add cream. Cook for an additional 2-3 mins, then return the chicken to the pan. Coat through the sauce... Continue to simmer for an additional few minutes. Serve warm.