Ok I’m not reinventing the wheel here but these Chicken Saltimbocca Rolls are my new favorite go to! Whether you are looking for a quick weeknight meal or something to impress your guests, you are going to want to add this saltimbocca recipe to your menu. All you are gonna need to make these are thin chicken breasts, Prosciutto, mozzarella or provolone cheese, even Fontina would be good,shallots, sage, white wine, stock and a little butter. Yes, BUTTER! Let’s face it…everything is better with butter! Oh and you will need a little kitchen twine.
Like I said above these are a great weeknight treat for the fam but equally good in larger quantities. These little parcells are definitely a crowd pleaser. Just double the recipe for a larger batch. I sear each parcel first in a large skillet with some shallots and sage before transferring them to a baking dish with white wine and stock. Then just cover the dish with foil and bake. I usually keep the foil on for the first 20 minutes and then remove for the final 10.
You might find that some of the cheese oozes out of the chicken but that’s perfectly fine because it melts right into the juices of the pan creating a delectably delicious sauce. I always find these are best served warm so the cheese kind of oozes out as you cut into them. But honestly, there is no wrong way to enjoy these little bundles of saltimbocca joy.
A few tips before you get started:
- Use a low moisture cheese (for example fresh mozzarella cheese would not be ideal in this cheese)
- Have all the ingredients lined up for quicker production time, as well as to avoid cross contaminating foods that aren’t going to be used in the recipe.
- When making smaller portions use an oven safe skillet and just go from stove top to oven.
- Do try and use Prosciutto di parma! The domestic prosciutto, etc.. is to salty (in my opinion) for this dish.
- Double up on the cheese if you like it extra ooey and gooey.
Hope you enjoy this dish and of course, let me know what you think of it in the comments below or tag me on social @cheftini #cheftiniskitchen.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THESE RECIPES:
Simple Chicken Saltimbocca
- 1 lb chicken breasts thin
- 4-6 Slices prosciutto
- 4-6 Slices Provolone mozzarella or fontina
- 3 Tblsp. Sage chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or vermouth
- 3/4 cup Stock
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 Small/Medium shallot diced
- Pre heat oven to 425 F. Lightly season each breast with salt and pepper. Lay breasts out flat and place cheese on top. Trying not to go out over the edges of the chicken. Roll each piece of chicken up as tightly as possible then wrap a slice of prosciutto, repeat until all the chicken are stuffed and wrapped.
- Secure each piece of chicken with kitchen twine. Wrap once around the center and then criss cross and tie.
- In a skillet saute 1/2 the butter and a few Tblsp of olive oil. Cook the chicken on both sides, Aprox. 7-8 minustes. Do not overcrowd the pan. It is ok to work in batches. Place cooked chicken into a baking dish.
- Add shallots and a pat of butter, saute a few minutes and then Deglaze the pan with white wine and bring to a simmer. Then add the stock, sage leaves. Bring to a simmer and then pour over the chicken. Cover and Bake for 20 mins. until or until the chicken is completely cooked through and the sauce has thickened a bit. *keep the foil on for 20 mins and then off for the remaining time*