This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Although Labor Day has come and gone and it’s the unofficial end to summer, the grill is still hot! It’s actually one of the hottest days of the “summer” today here in New York.
Here’s a great recipe that’s not only quick, but a great way to use up those summer herbs. Together with some garlic cloves and a good quality extra virgin olive oil you can grill up these tasty Florentine style steaks for dinner.
I used up some parsley and thyme on my steaks, but you can use any of your favorite herbs. The only side note I would make is to try and use fresh herbs if possible. Once your herbs are cleaned, dried and chopped mix them together with the extra virgin olive oil. Also add salt and pepper to taste. Put 2/3rds of the mixture in a shallow bowl and set aside the remaining herb and oil mixture to use later on.
Peel and slice in a half a few garlic cloves. Using the cut side of the cut garlic rub it all over the steaks. I used 3/4″ Club Steaks without the bone. I think it’s best to rub the steaks with the garlic instead of adding it to the oil mixture because the garlic will burn as it cooks on the hot grill.
After coating each side of the steaks in the oil mixture, let them sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes (to take out any chill in the meat). Discard the oil and herbs when done. Then cook the meat on medium high grill for 3-5 minutes per side.
Remove from the grill and with a pastry brush rub the reserved oil and herb mixture (that was set aside) on the steaks. If you would like to add an additional punch of flavor squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the top.
Grilled Herb and Garlic Steak
- 4 Club Steaks
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
- 2 in garlic cloves slicedhalf
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill to medium/high heat
- Prepare steaks by rubbing them with garlic slices (cut side down).
- Mix together herbs,olive oil, salt and pepper. Take 2/3 rds of the mixture and place in a shallow dish. Set aside the remaining oil herb mixture aside to use after the steaks are cooked.
- When steaks have come to room temperature (after about 10 minutes) place then on the hot grill. Cook steaks 3-5 minutes per side (depending desired doneness). Remove from grill and place on a platter. Brush on the remaining reserved oil and herb mixture on both sides and serve.