I have been trying to get the chance to make this Chocolate marshmallow mousse made with Hershey’s kisses for some time now. This is not my original recipe but a modified version from my favorite Hershey’s Chocolate Lovers Cookbook.
I love this book, I purchased it many years ago when I first got married. I remember going page by page, following each chocolaty decadent recipe exactly to the teaspoon (as I did with every recipe). Not deviating one step from the directions from fear that I would screw something up or it just wouldn’t taste good. Actually, I think that’s how most people are with a recipe. Often times we are given a recipe and become quite rigid in preparing it. Perhaps, like me, its fear of failure or maybe its just stepping outside the comfort zone of a tried and true favorite – like following the old adage “if it aint broke don’t fix it”.
For me, long gone are those years of fear in the kitchen. Now when I read a recipe I immediately think how can I change it or modify it. I allow myself to be more creative in the kitchen and just don’t care anymore if I screw up – I just go ahead and do it! Worse thing that can happen is it stinks. The only rule I try to strictly adhere to is one of my Mama’s words of wisdom: “never make a new recipe when your expecting company”. I know, not very profound, but very true. Like many of my Mama’s words – I didn’t always listen and learned the hard way (she was usually right!) Personally, I like this rule because if it turns out to be some great failure nobody knows but me – and well I guess now maybe you!
This one isn’t not difficult to make . The only caution I would use is when melting the marshmallows, milk and chocolate. When preparing these steps you should give it your undivided attention. I placed the mousse in my Mom’s vintage glass cappuccino mugs for a cool retro look.
Read the recipe below:
Chocolate Mousse with a Kiss
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallow or 15 regular marshmallow
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 36 unwrapped dark Hershey's Kisses or regular your choice
- 1 pint cold whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon confectionary sugar
- Additional Hershey's Kisses for garnish
- Combine marshmallow and milk in a small saucepan and cook over low heat. Stir occasionally until marshmallows are melted. Add all 36 unwrapped Hershey's kisses and stir constantly until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and bring to room temperature. Take heavy cream and beat to soft peaks then add vanilla and confectionary sugar and continue beating until almost stiff peaks form. Fold 2/3 cup of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Fill the mixture into mugs or parfait glasses about 3/4 the way to the top. Put into refrigerator and let set for 3-4 hours. Spoon/pipe reserved whipping cream and top with a kiss.
Try: Using edible cups and fill with mousse and whipped cream and garnish the same
Substitute: with different chocolate - the 36 unwrapped chocolates weighed about 7 oz