Do you love Cheesecake? Moreover, do you love Italian Cheesecake? If you do (and even if you don’t) this lemon ricotta cake is a must try! This is not your typical cheesecake recipe. It’s a cross between a Sicilian Cassata and Ricotta Cheesecake. Both are Italian desserts and are made with hints of citrus and ricotta cheese.
I wish I could tell you that this is some secret family recipe passed down from generation to generation, but I actually came up with this cake by accident. Some of the ingredients may surprise you, but I think if you try it you’ll agree this is a definite winner!
Initially, I had this idea to make doughnuts with lemon cake mix and ricotta cheese. I developed a recipe based on some ingredients and measurements from the cake mix box, a doughnut cake recipe, and an Italian cheesecake recipe. After making the first batch it was evident that the recipe I developed did not make the doughnut I had expected. Feeling a little disappointed with the outcome I decided I should make something else with the batter. Since the ingredients and flavors were reminiscent of both cassata and Italian cheesecake I decided to bake a Lemon Ricotta Cake.
Unsure how this would turn out, I still greased my springform pan, poured in the remaining cake batter and then placed the pan in the oven (middle rack). After an hour I removed the pan from the oven. It looked amazing, but I was still cautiously optimistic. I let it stand a few moments and then without hesitation released the sides of the pan.
Voila, it was a beauty, but I still wondered how it would it taste. After refrigerating for a few hours I cut myself a piece. I was pleasantly surprised.
This cake was moist and delicious! Having enhanced the original lemon cake mix a bit I think this is a cake even “Betty” would serve. Happy baking and enjoy!
Lemon Ricotta Cake
- 1 Box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Lemon Cake Mix 15.25 oz
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Powder Sugar for Sprinkling
- cooking spray
- 9 1/2 " springform pan
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese and heavy cream with a hand blender or stand mixer until creamy. Then add the eggs one at a time - mixing a little in between each egg, Add the olive oil and continue to mix thoroughly, Then add the cake mix. Combine all the ingredients thoroughly and pour into a greased spring form pan. Place the pan in the oven on the center rack
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the cake is very lightly browned on top and the sides and is firm to the touch. Let stand for 10 minutes, Release the the sides of the pan and continue to cool. Refrigerate until cold or overnight. Sprinkle with powder sugar before serving.
I value your feedback, so please let me know what you think in the comments below. If you like this recipe please share it.