This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
It’s May…woo hoo! Why am I so excited? Because it almost summah-time! Summer is my most favorite time of the year. Not only do I love to feel the hot summer sun beating down on me, I also love this time of year because here in New York, it marks the start of some really fresh produce! I love all fresh fruits and veggies, but anything made with garden tomatoes and freshly picked basil is my jam!!
Summer is also the time of year when I we have an abundance of tomatoes and I am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into our daily menu. Especially those less than ripe tomatoes. Whether you see them in your home garden or at your local market, many of us shy away from them but not me. I was taught firmer/yellower tomatoes are good for salads and other dishes, like this pomodori fritti caprese.
These under ripened tomatoes are perfect for breading and then frying. They are not too juicy with just the right amount of firmness to be breaded and fried. They are the perfect accompaniment to any meal, like pork chops or chicken cutlets, but I like to stack them with layers of fresh mozzarella, basil oil, and a light balsamic reduction to be used as appetizers.
Not only does this pomodori fritti caprese look wonderful, it tastes out of this world. You’ve got so many of your senses getting hit at one time. You’ve got tangy, salty, crunchy, creamy and even a touch of sweetness. Each flavor complimenting the other. I think serving this warm while still crunchy is the best, if possible.
Pomodori Fritti Caprese
- 4 Large Firm heirloom tomatoes sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 8 slices Fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup Plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg + 3 Tbslp Milk
- green sauce
- Olive Oil / canola oil for frying
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Wash and dry tomatoes. Slice and dry on paper towels. Dip each tomato slice into egg wash and then breadcrumbs. You can repeat if desired. Allow to sit in refrigerator for 15 Mins to set.
- Heat olive oil in pan, fry tomatoes until golden brown on both sides. Set aside on paper towel.
- Reduce 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of honey in a saucepan until coats back of spoon.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze along bottom of dish... layer tomato slice, mozzarella, Basil sauce, tomato slice, mozzarella, Basil oil and tomato slice. Top with more balsamic glaze, and fresh Basil leaves