This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Who say’s you have to live in Philly to make a tasty Steak Sandwich?! Using my trusty cast iron skillet I can usually whip up these shaved steak sandwiches in a flash. That includes topping them off with my own quick homemade cheese sauce. These no fuss sandwiches will have you in and out of the kitchen in 3 easy steps.
The key to making this a time friendly dish is using pre-shaved steak. My local Stew Leonard’s sells a brand called Old Neighborhood. But no worries If you can not find this brand at your local market… generally the butcher at the market will do it for you. I have found 99% of the the time the butcher is happy to help me out. I am not sure which is the best cut for this, but the butcher can also help you choose the best cut of meat for this as well.
In addition to the shaved steak, you’ll need a white onion, some green italian peppers and some red mini peppers. You can use bell peppers but they sometimes take longer to cook down. Slice them all pretty thin and then saute them in your skillet on medium/low, heat until softened and slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Turn up the heat on your pan, add a touch more oil and saute your meat. I find the hotter the pan the less liquid that will exude from the meal. Also, season the meat after it’s almost cooked through. Add the peppers and onions back to the pan, give them a good mix and set aside.
I make my steak sammies with a homemade cheese sauce. It’s super simple to make. Melt a Tbsp. butter a few slices each of american and provolone cheeses on low. When melted through add some heavy cream and slowly boil. When the sauce is thickened but still fluid it is ready. Don’t worry if it gets too thick you can always think it out with a little milk/cream.
Now pile on the steak mixture into club rolls and top off with that cheese sauce. Although a salad would probably be the best side dish here…. my oven roasted garlic fries are always a good choice!
Hope you enjoy these homemade Shaved Philly Cheesesteak style sammies. They are quick and oh so delicious!
Shaved Steak Sammies
- 6 Cubanelle Peppers - sliced into rings
- 6 mini red peppers - sliced into rings
- 1 medium white onion sliced thin
- 1 Lb Shaved Beef Steak
- Olive Oil for sautéing
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 2 slices American Cheese
- 2 sllices Provolone Cheese
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- In a skillet sauté sliced peppers and onions on medium/ low heat until peppers are soften and onions are slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside. Turn up heat on Skillet and sauté shaved steak until cooked through. Season with salt & Pepper and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Mix in Peppers and onions .
- Slice Rolls and fill with Steak, Peppers and Onions.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and cheese slices slowly. Add cream to create cheese sauce, whisk through and pour over sammies.