This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Quinoa – pronounced “keen-wah” is one of my new favs. One reason I like Quinoa is because of its low glycemic index. I use it from time to time as a a substitute for pasta or rice . I always thought Quinoa was a grain but it is actually a seed that is grown in the Andes Mountains of South America. Some additional reasons I like to eat quinoa are it is gluten and wheat free; it contains all 8 essential amino acids; it has fiber; it’s low in fat (and has no saturated fat); it is a good source of protein (which is great for vegetarians); it contains iron, phosphorus,copper and manganese.
(I researched these facts on the Mother Nature Network website.)
I’ve been nervous to make this from scratch until I realized that its just like making rice , I haven’t second guessed making it since. Recently, while in a pinch I made Quinoa with frozen veggies and sauted in olive oil and garlic. On this particular day, I knew I would be home late from baseball. Trying to be prepared I purchased a Rotisserie chicken earlier in the day and then prepared a cup of organic quinoa, which I left it in the pot covered until we returned. When I was ready I sauteed some garlic with a few tablespoons of olive oil until almost browned and then added the frozen veggies, and then the quinoa.. It was a Quinoa version of pasta with oil and garlic. It was absolutely delicious. I used it as a side dish but it could have been a meal in itself.
Here’s my quick version of Vegetable Quinoa aglio e olio (quinoa with garlic and oil)!
Of course you could use fresh veggies as well!
Enjoy this delicious dish as a side or as a entree!
AS ALWAYS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
Quinoa with mixed vegetables aglio e olio
- 1 Cup dry Quinoa
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive oil divided
- 1 Cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Dash of garlic salt and dash of pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- When comes to a boil reduce heat and cover
- let Simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked
- Add a tablespoon of parmesan cheese and mix together
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a saute pan
- Add the frozen vegetables when garlic begins to lightly brown
- Stir and saute for about 5 minutes
- After about 3 minutes of cooking on medium high reduced heat to medium/low and cover for about 4 minutes.
- Removed cover then added the quinoa and toss
- Season with garlic salt and pepper
- Tossed and covered another 4 minutes,
- Uncover and cook another few minutes and serve