This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
I think at almost every Italian BBQ there is some version of the potato and string bean salad. It is definitely a go to dish whenever I have a summer BBQ. My mom always made it with oil, string beans and red onions. My mother in law usually makes it with string beans and tomatoes with oil.
I wanted to do something different so I decided to make it with string beans, tomatoes, bacon and dress it with an arugula walnut pesto. I used my arugula Walnut Pesto recipe from my Naan Grilled Cheese post.
To begin making the potato salad I start by preparing my potatoes. I like to use Yukon Gold Potatoes but you can use any potato of choice. I wash them and boil them until cooked but firm. I peel each potato (you can leave the skin on if you choose). Then I cut them in half and then in quarters (I quarter again if necessary). I try and keep them all close in size. I then season with salt and pepper, and coat with olive oil.
NOTE: I read somewhere a long time ago that it is good to season potatoes while still hot.
While the potatoes cook, I prepare the remaining ingredients. I cook the bacon and then crumble it, chop the tomatoes and defrost my string beans*.
*I like to use the frozen French Green Beans (Haricot Vert) from my local Trader Joe’s
Just as a side note – Trader Joe’s is a great store if you’ve never been (click on the this hyperlink link to see if there is one near you Trader Joe’s).
I simply place the amount I am using in a bowl and pop them in the microwave for just a few minutes. You can also cook them quickly on the stove stop. Either way its a great buy if you can find them.
I then add the ingredients and gently toss. Careful not to break up the potatoes too much. Once combined I add the pesto dressing and mix well. It’s a good idea to let this dish sit at least a 1/2 hour but I think overnight is the best way if possible.
Here’s the recipe and don;t forget to Click below and SHARE with your friends on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, TWITTER OR OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA!
Pesto Potato Salad
- 6 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3/4 cup of crumbled bacon or cooked pancetta/prosciutto
- 4-5 Tablespoons of Arugula Walnut Pesto or your favorite pesto
- 1 Cup French Green Beans cooked
- 1 cup of plum tomatoes chopped
- 3 Tablespoons of Vinegar red wine or apple cider
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parhlsey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean potatoes and cook in a large pot of water
- Prepare about 10 ozs of bacon and crumble (then set aside)
- Chop tomaotes and place aside
- Prepare 1 cup of french green beans according to the package and set aside
- When potatoes are cooked but still firm (use a fork to test doneness) - peel away the skin and cut them into small quarters
- Place potatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper while still warm
- Add the oil, vinegar, tomatoes, bacon and string beans and then toss
- Then take the pesto and coat the ingredients
- Then cover and refrigerate for at lest a half hour or overnight