This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
If you love artichokes and mushrooms like I do, then this is a must try dish. This dish is made with Chicken chunks that are cooked with mushrooms, artichokes, and tomatoes that bake in a lemon wine sauce. It is delicious. This recipe leaves just enough juice at the end of cooking for serving over rice or pasta,or if your dunker like I am, for a nice crusty piece of Italian bread!
This dish requires a little prep but you could easily start this out the day before if you like and then pop it in the oven the next day for dinner. Leave a good hour for baking in the oven.
Here’s the quick run down:
First wash, dry and clean the fat off the chicken breast. Then cube the chicken, no bigger than 1 1/2″, try and keep same size, season and dredge in a little flour. Season the flour and chicken with a little salt and pepper (or seasoning of your choice).
Saute in a heated pan with olive oil until dry. Remove chicken to a baking dish. The baking dish I used was about 9″x13″.
Slice onion and mushrooms. I use a wet paper towel to clean the mushrooms and remove any dirt. In same pan that chicken cooked in (optional to add little more oil or a pat of butter) and begin to saute onion and mushroom. When lightly brown add the tomatoes (with juice) and artichokes (WITHOUT juice) and saute another few minutes.
NOTE:You can rough chop the artichokes if you like, I leave them whole so picky eaters can easily pick them out.
Remove saute pan from heat and add your water/broth, lemon juice and white wine. Put back on heat and bring to a quick boil then carefully pour over the chicken. Mix the ingredients and then cover with foil. Place in a pre heated oven. After a 1/2 hour you should stir the ingredients and cover again with foil. Place back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes . Then remove the foil and cook uncovered another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Serve with your favorite pasta, rice. Its also great alone with some roasted potatoes or side of your choice.
Enjoy! As always, I really look forward to your comments and feedback!
SHARE this recipe with your friends on Facebook,Pinterest,Instagram, or other Social Media!
Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms
- 2 lb chicken breast cubed
- 8 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 white/yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup of chicken stock/water
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 18.5 oz can of artichoke hearts in water
- 3/4 cup of diced tomato with juice
- Flour for dredging aprox. 1 cup
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and cube chicken
- Dredge chicken in flour and then saute in a hot pan with olive oil and butter
- When browned transfer to a baking dish
- In same pan, saute sliced mushrooms and onions for a five minutes or until lightly browned
- Add artichokes (without juice) and tomatoes and saute a few more minutes to combine
- Remove from heat and add wine, stock and lemon juice
- Return pan to heat and bring to a quick boil
- Pour mixture over the chicken chunks - you can stir now or wait
- Tightly cover the pan with foil and place in a pre heated oven 350 degrees F - middle rack
- After 45 minutes remove the baking dish from the oven, remove foil, stir the chicken and artichokes, etc... and place back into the oven uncovered (top rack).
- Cook another 15-20 mins or until chicken is coked through
- Serve warm over pasta, rice or alone with another side of your choice.