This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
Don’t let the cooler than usual weather fool ya – summer IS just around that corner!
Personally, I am dreading having to pull out those white jeans, shorty shorts and bathing suit.
If your like me and cramming at the gym before the summer solstice arrives, then I have a great recipe for you. While I still plan to pump a few extra tons of iron and tread a few extra thousand miles on the tread mill, I am going to do so while eating good healthy food. Thats what I love about this Quinoa and Asparagus Risotto. It’s not only beach body friendly – it’s good for you too!
To start I used the Trader Joe’s White Quinoa and basically put my own twist on the recipe provided on the back label. The cooking process is basically the same as cooking traditional risotto.
First, slice the asparagus and sauté in olive oil. Then remove the asparagus to a covered dish. Then add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent. At this point add the quinoa and coat through the olive oil for abut 5 minutes or so.
Add the white wine and stir until it absorbs.
Then add your remaining liquid about 1/2 cup at a time. I used chicken stock but you can substitute with vegetable stock. Use warm stock and stir. Add a 1/2 cup of warm liquid each time the pan begins to look dry. About half way through the cooking process I added a few tablespoons of lemon juice. Repeat adding the liquid until the quinoa becomes creamy and the quinoa germ bursts. When the final addition of broth is absorbed add the parmesan cheese and stir.
Take the pan off the heat, cover and set aside a few minutes. After a few minutes the quinoa will become creamy. Then add the asparagus spears and parsley. Stir all together and serve.
I really enjoyed this …. filling and so good. If your looking for some nutritional information and other quinoa recipes here are a few other posts I’ve written on this healthy and versatile food.
Quinoa Mediterannenan Salad – please note I stand corrected on this post, as Quinoa is a seed not a grain.
Quinoa and Asparagus Risotto
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 1 pound of asparagus spears - sliced
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed
- 5 cups of chicken or vegetable broth - warm in a pan
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parlsey
- 1/2 cup of onion diced
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until they soften - about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside in a covered dish.
- Reduce heat on pan;add onion and garlic to the sauté pan and cook until they start to become clear. About 5 minutes.
- Increase heat on pan to medium high and add the rinsed quinoa. Coat through the olive oil and sauté for about 3 minutes. Lower heat to a simmer and add the white wine and stir until the wine is absorbed. When absorbed add a 1/2 cup of warm of broth into the quiona and continue to stir and simmer until it is completely absorbed. Each time the pan is almost fully absorbed of the liquid add another 1/2 cup of warm broth. Continue this until the quinoa becomes creamy and the quinoa germ has burst, about 20 minutes. Add the lemon juice midway through.
- When the last addition of broth is almost absorbed stir in the parmesan cheese, remove from the heat, cover pan and let sit for 2 minutes. This helps develop the creamy texture. Then add the asparagus, parlsey and stir.
If you like this recipe don’t forget to PIN IT, LIKE it, or SHARE it with your friends by clicking on one of the Social Media Icons below
A word about Amazon Links: from time to time I post links to amazon for products that I use in a specific blog post. I do receive credit from amazon if you purchase this item through the direct link, but I NEVER post or suggest a product that I do not use or sincerely recommend.