Quinoa is the grain to be these days! It is a Super food with many health benefits.
If you’re wondering why you should add Quinoa to your daily diet here are 7 reasons (facts courtesy of the Mind Body Green website):
- One of the most proetein Rich foods you can eat
- Contains twice as much fiber as other grains
- Contains Iron
- Contains Lysine
- Rich in Magnesium
- High in (B2) Roboflavin
- High content of Manganese (an antioxidant)
If the health benefits aren’t enough reason, how about it tastes good
Here’s a yummy Quinoa summer salad recipe for you.
I like the Near East brand of foods and recently tried their Quinoa with Rosemary and Olive Oil. I find this brand is easy to prepare and the semi cooked ingredients are all natural. I also liked that it was flavored and thought it would make a great summer salad. I prepared the Quinoa blend (it’s combined with brown rice), let it cool and then basically took whatever I had in the fridge: cherry tomatoes; red onion; and black olives from the pantry. I seasoned it with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Tossed them all together and let them sit overnight. It makes a great salad the next day. As much as I love my pasta and potatoes, I would substitute with this dish at my next BBQ or just on the dinner table.
NOTE: If I had roasted peppers or an eggplant to roast, I would’ve added those ingredients as well.
So now you know why you should be eating this super whole grain food – and you know there is a brand that turns out a great product – go ahead and give this recipe a try!
Checkout the Near East website to see where you might be able to find this product. I know Whole Foods carries it.
Preparing the entire package should yield about 6 (1 cup) servings.
Simple Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 1 Box of Near East Quinoa with Rosemary and Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium red onion dices
- 1 small container of cherry tomaotes halved
- 1/2 Can of Black Olives sliced
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- Prepare the Quinoa according to the box
- Dice and slice the ingredients above
- Once cooked Quinoa is at room temperature, add the onion, olives, and tomatoes
- Mix together then drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and add balsamic vinegar to taste
- Mix and let sit overnight.