Calling all Eggplant Parm lovers! If you love Eggplant Parmesan then I am calling Y-O- U!
Take your love for Eggplant Parm to a whole new level with this stuffed baby eggplant. What could be better than baby eggplant that has been stuffed with chopped meat, baked in tomato sauce and smothered with mozzarella cheese?! Sounds so yummy – right?
Well, with that said – this recipe idea is not one I got from my family, it came from a friend who’s Italian mother makes her eggplant this way. Needless to say, her baked eggplant dish intrigued me so much and well you know what happened next….
Stuffed Baby Eggplant Parmesan happened of course!
Although very different from the eggplant I grew up on, this is definitely #goodeats and I’m so glad to be sharing it with you! It’s the perfect dish when you are looking for a new twist on that old favorite. Grab the recipe below and give it a go. You can also make this recipe without meat and add some chopped peppers and maybe mushrooms too. As always, the most important thing is to make this recipe your own. Just remember you might need to adjust the ingredients a bit.
Happy Cooking and enjoy!
Stuffed Baby Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 Baby Eggplant
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb chopped pork or beef
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 plum size tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlicchopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup plus more for sprinkling - Grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 handful each of fresh Parsley and Basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste *
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut 4 eggplant in half and remove pulp. Set skins in a greased baking dish.
- Saute eggplant, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and herbs together until softened.
- Saute in a seperate pan chopped pork until cooked through and then add to eggplant mixture.
- In a bowl place breadcrumbs, paremsan cheese and provolone cheese. Add the eggplant mixture and mix well. Add the egg and combine.
- Fill the eggplants with the mixture. Pour the sauce over the tops of the eggplant and inside the baking dish. Take about a 1/4 cup of water and thin out the sauce at the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-50 mins. Remove from oven, sprinkle with a little more parmesan cheese and evenly diperse the mozzzarella cheese over the tops of the eggplant. Cook an additional 15 minutes - unocvered- until baked cheese is melted. Let cool and serve.