This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
(that’s throwback thurday for those of you who don’t speak the #hashtag lingo) …
Recently, I came across this old Kellogg recipe card for Tiger Cookies – made using Frosted Flakes. Thought it would be a fun throwback recipe to make with the kids.
I actually lessened the sugar quantity when I prepared the dough.
Even with less sugar I think it’s a cookie evenTony would say is GR-R-REAT!
Here are some step by steps of what I did with some photos…
In one bowl I mixed flour, baking soda and salt
In another bowl I creamed margarine and sugar until fluffy. I used a 1/4 cup less sugar than original recipe. Then added the eggs and vanilla and mixed again. Mixed in the flour mixture 1/3 at a time. Next, I added the crushed frosted flakes cereal and incorporated into the mixture.
*I crushed the cereal in a ziplock with a meat mallet – a rolling pin would work too**
Drizzled the melted chocolate over the dough and with a knife swirled it through the dough – I used a snake like pattern as I swirled it through. Stopped when the dough looked marbleized.
*I melted the chocolate chips in a microwave safe ball on 50% power for about 2 mins 30 secs*
Prepare a lined baking sheet and pre-heat oven. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto greased or lined sheet. Original recipe called for tablespoon but the first batch was too big so I reduced the size of the spoon. I think my 2nd batch came better.
I removed from the baking sheets and cooled on wire racks.
First batch on the left…second batch on the right (I prefer the smaller cookie)
The recipe card said I would yield 5 dozen but I got 2 1/2 dozen or so. If cookies were smaller in the 1st batch I think I would have yielded closer to the 5 dozen.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup margarine/butter softened
- 1 cup sugar *
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Frosted Flakes about 3-4whole
- 1 Cup Semi sweet chocolate chips melted
- Stir together flour, soda and salt. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Mix in flour mixture. Stir in crushed cereal. Drizzle melted chocolate over the dough. With knife, swirl chocolate gently through dough to achieve a marbled appearance. Drop by rounded measuring-tablespoon** onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F, 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
use a teaspoon for smaller cookies