This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
When I saw these adorable Guacamole Cones in a kids cookbook I just knew that I had to give them a try. I actually made them yesterday for National Guacamole Day. They came out so cute (if I don’t say so myself)! I bet even the pickiest of eaters might try this fun guacamole cone.
I know all about picky eaters, so when I saw these cones I just knew it would be a winning idea. In my opinion they look impressive, but they are just quirky enough to get the kids (possibly some picky adults) to give them a try. If you can roll, mash and scoop then this recipe is for you!
The cones are not difficult to make. Start with the flat end of the halved tortilla facing you and then fold up the first corner to the top and form a triangle. Then keep rolling to the right. Insert a toothpick when the cone is shaped to hold together while baking. I wanted my cones tight so I had at least 4 triangles rolled.
NOTE: if your tortillas are cold then let them come to room temperature before rolling.
See the photo below for a visual description…
Once the cones are rolled you brush them with olive oil and chili powder and then bake. NOTE: I had a slight advantage in baking them since I have this great mini cone baking pan from the Joy Cone Co. If you don’t have a cupcake cone baking pan you can just bake them on a lined baking sheet. You lay them down until they firm up a bit (about 9 minutes) and then stand them up (upside down) . Then bake another 5 minutes or until done. Once they are cool fill them with your favorite guacamole recipe or the one I have below. I think this is a great after school snack, a fun idea for football Sunday or anytime you’re looking for a unique way to serve guacamole and chips.
I made some slight variations to the original recipe by using whole wheat tortillas and adding some different seasonings to the guacamole. Use your best judgement on how much heat your little one will like (if any). You can really be creative with this concept. If you do decide to change it up please let me know!
Let me know what you think in the comments below and of course if your really like it please go ahead and SHARE this post with your family and friends.
Tortilla Guacamole Cones
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 2 plum tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce
- season with 1 packet of hidden valley ranch guacamole seasoning
- 12 toothpicks
For the Guacamole
- Cut avocados in half and remove pit. Scoop out the inside of the avocado into a bowl and then add the lime juice and your seasonings. Cover and refrigerate for about a 1/2 hour.
For the cones
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack the tortillas up and then cup them in half. In a bowl add the oil and chili powder. Roll each tortilla half into a cone shape and then insert a toothpick to keep it together. Then brush the cone with the oil and chili powder mixture. Place the cones on a lined baking sheet (or stand up in a cone baking pan if you have one). Bake the cones for approximately 9 minutes and then when they are lightly brown stand them upside down and continue to bake for another 5 minutes. When golden brown remove from oven and let sit for a minute before removing the toothpick.
- Line up the cooled cones and put a small amount of tomatoes into the bottom of the cone, then put a small scoop of your guacamole and garnish with some more tomatoes. Serve and enjoy.
Alternatively, you could use a mild salsa as a garnish.