What are Eggplant Chili Fries you ask? Well, they are fried eggplant sticks that look like a French fry,seasoned with chili powder.
I made these perfect cuts with a French Fry cutter (that I don’t use often enough). Actually, this is the first time I ever made eggplant fries, so with fingers crossed and one eggplant about to go bad, I thought to I would give them a try. I know baking in the oven is always a healthier option, but I decided to use my Mom’s fried zucchini chips method of dredging in flour and frying in oil. Since I always do things in moderation, I don’t really worry too much every now again if I indulge.
My little twist to this dish was to add some spice and gave em’ a little kick!
SIDE NOTE: I’ll be getting some links up for this French fry cutter and some of my other favorite items in the next week or so.
Link for the Vegetable/French Fry Cutter
The overall outcome…
good, good, oh yeah, and Really good! I happen to be an eggplant lover however, so this would be a winner for me no matter what! My 12 year old devoured them by the way.
NOTES from my first time with this dish:
- the firmer the eggplant and harder the coating on the outside the better.
- chili powder was an excellent choice. And coupled with the hint of garlic salt and parmesan cheese it was like a mediterranean fiesta! 🙂
- I found some of the less crispy eggplant fries got soggy too quickly.
- Eat Warm
- A must try, especially if you love eggplant.
Play by play :
1. Wash and dry the eggplant, then cut the into 1/4’s (peeling is optional). Put eggplant sticks in a bowl with seasoned flour. After coating with the flour I filled a pan with both canola oil and olive oil for frying.
NOTE: I know olive oil isn’t really for frying but that’s how my Mother always did it so that’s what I do to – I’ve never had a problem.
2. When heated place eggplant sticks and fry (about 1/3rd at a time). Don’t crowd the pan and cook the eggplant until a nice golden coating forms on the outside
3. Drain onto a paper towel and season with grated parmesan or romano cheese
4. Serve with your favorite homemade tomato sauce,basil dipping sauce, or aioli, etc..
These were a must try and you could also slice them into thin chips and enjoy them that way as well….
LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, IF YOU HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVES OR SUGGESTIONS IN THE COMMENT BOX BELOW 🙂