This is a great side dish for any occasion. You will usually find it on our holiday table and most other special occasions as well.
It just happens that this dish is a Mama Lina specialty – that’s my Mother in Law. She’s a “young” old world Italian that could out cook any professional chef with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back (you get the picture, right?!). If she endorses it then you know it’s good as gold!
To make this flavorful dish you’ll need a bag of frozen baby peas, sliced or chopped yellow/white onion, and sliced button mushrooms. First, gently clean your mushrooms with a damp towel and then thinly slice them (i’m not sure the exact size but see the photo below). Then sauté them in a little olive oil until cooked and browned.
Once they’re cooked through remove the mushrooms from the pan and set them aside. Next, slice (or chop) your onions and sauté with butter and olive oil. Cook the onions until they start to caramelize and then add the frozen peas and cook on med/high for 5 minutes. Return the mushrooms and then continue to cook on medium while covered. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally to assure peas don’t burn.
Cook the peas until they are done and then transfer to a serving bowl.
You could also do this with a peas and carrots combo.
I highly suggest giving these peas a try this holiday season….I know they will be on my Thanksgiving Table!
Peas, mushrooms and onions
- 1 bag of baby frozen peas
- 1 lb of mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow/white onion - thinly sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: rosemary or thyme for additional seasoning
- Cook the sliced mushrooms in a sauté pan with olive oil until brown and then set aside.
- Add remaining oil and the butter to a sauté pan and lightly caramelize the onions. Then add the peas and sauté for about 5 minutes uncovered on high. Return the mushrooms to the pan, mix together, and season to taste. Cover and let cook on medium for another 10 minutes or until the peas are slightly browned and cooked through.
As always I really look forward to your feedback so please let me know what you think in the comments below!!
If you like this recipe feel free to PIN IT, LIKE IT or SHARE IT using any one of the social media icons below.