The last few days I’ve really been under the weather with a nasty cold and today is definitely looking like another sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, without ANY rest kind of day! So, even though I am blah and feel like I should be the spokesperson for a NyQuil commercial, I picked myself up out of bed and decided to make these rrreeally cute fall inspired Mini Apple Cider Doughnut Cupcakes.
This particular recipe could not be easier. Besides a box of good ole’ Duncan Hines all you need to make these doughnut cupcakes is apple cider, mini muffin pans and some other ingredients for cake baking, like cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and cooking spray.
A few important notes on these Doughnut Cupcakes:
- I chose to substitute apple cider for water you do not have to do this. Just keep in my mind that they won’t actually be “apple cider” donut cupcakes if you leave the cider out – but they will still be very good 🙂
- Do not overfill the muffin tin – less is more – the recipe says 2/3rds full but I say just shy of 2/3rds or they WILL come over the top. I totally overfilled the first batch and turned out these lopsided mini cupcakes with abnormally large tops that hung over the side
- Make sure to grease the pan well and to dust them with flour if your not using cooking spray with flour
- Roll in cinnamon sugar while still warm or it won’t stick
- Eat the same day for best taste
If you love cinnamon doughnuts I recommend giving these a try. They have that great homemade taste without too much work.
Happy Baking and Enjoy!The recipe idea came from this cute little kids cookbook I picked up from Kohls Cares. It’s called “Kids Treats, Fun-filled snacks and irresistible sweets”. If you saw my post on the guacamole cones last week, they were inspired by this book as well.
If you like this recipe you might also like these treats: