This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links See Full Disclosure Here
If you are looking for a unique, no fail dessert this Thanksgiving look no further than these Candy Corn Rainbow Cookies. These look impressive, but don’t be intimidated. All you need to do is follow the simple step by step instructions below.
It’s almost hard to believe that it’s been over 25 years since I made my first batch of Italian rainbow cookies. I was relatively new to the kitchen when my mother in law shared her recipe with me.
Even as a newbie bake, I can honestly say the first time I baked these cookies, they were a huge a success.
That’s because this recipe is easy to follow and relatively simple.
Over the years, rainbow cookies have become my signature cookie. I’ve come up with my own tips, tricks and color variations. But one thing I haven’t changed are the ingredients.
That’s what I love about these candy corn inspired rainbow cookies. They allow for creativity, while keeping the traditional flavors from the original recipe.
Are rainbow cookies hard to make
Before you get started you might be wondering how difficult these Candy Corn Inspired Rainbow Cookies are to make.
Don’t fret! This is almost like a no fail recipe. As long as you can mix, measure and layer these will come out great!
Even though the recipe isn’t difficult, there’s a lot of steps. So the most important tip I can share with you is to make these cookies on a down day. A day when you have nothing else going on.
Overall, the time you put forth is well worth the outcome. When all is said and done, these freeze very well and one batch can yield up to 6 dozen.
That’s a lot of candy corn rainbow cookies!
These are my favorite, time tested cookie recipes that are always a hit with friends and family!
If you have any questions on or feedback on this recipe please feel free to comment below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Below is a list of suggested items for this recipe. Please note that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Candy Corn Italian Rainbow Cookies
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 12.5 oz Almond Pastry Filling NOT Almond paste
- 3 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 each Orange and Yellow Food Coloring
- 1 jar strawberry jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ; In a bowl sift together flour and baking powder; Spray pans with non stick cooking spray and set aside
- Using a hand/stand mixer - cream together the softened butter & sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the Almond filling and extracts; mix well until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Gradually add flour/baking powder mixture. Once fully combined and fluffy STOP. Do not overmix.
- Evenly seperate batter into 3 bowls. Set one bowl aside.. In the second bowl, put about 8 drops of yellow food coloring and mix well. Repeat this step in the third bowl using the orange food coloring. Adjust the droplets to your liking.
- Pour one of each bowl into one of the pans. You should have 1 of each color. Evenly spread out the batter, gently tap and bake Aprox.15 mins. Middle rack. Alternate pans if needed. Remove and let cool slightly.
For the layers
- While still a touch warm,flip over the yellow layer onto a board with wax paper. Spread strawberry jelly over (not too much though). Now, flip out the ORANGE layer on top of the yellow, spread more jelly (again not too much). Now flip over the white layer and let it set. Cover top with more wax paper and place something on top for a few hours to help the layers stick together.
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. Pour half the chocolate over the top layer and spread it out evenly with a knife or angled spatula. Place in the freezer until hardened (like 10 mins.). Now take a piece of wax paper and place it over the top of the cookies. Place a small cutting board on top and carefully flip over. Now spread the melted chocolate over the bottom layer.
- Cut the cookies into strips and then squares/rectangles/candy corn shapes of your choice.